Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, October 21, 2005

SHF #13---The Dark Side, with Love from Mexico

.



Yikes! Talk about late...it's Friday, but not just any Friday. Nope, it's Sugar High Friday. And this month, it's all about Dark Chocolate. Kelli, of Lovescool is hosting this month's event...the 13th edition!...and she's hoping we'll all try something a bit different. And I just made them a few hours ago...talk about cutting it close!

Problem is, I don't need a reason to bake with dark chocolate. I think I use it every couple of weeks. So, to come up with something 'different', I decided to go globe-trotting.

After a bit of web searching, I came across several recipes for Alfajores. Alfajores are a Mexican cookie, traditionally made by sandwiching dulce de leche between two cookies (similar to shortbread, but not as sweet), then rolled in coconut.
But that's where I lose interest. I'm not wild about coconut, and Matt detests it. And since he'll be eating most of what I make, I knew I needed to fix that.

So that's where the dark chocolate comes in: instead of coconut, I coated the cookies with melted 77% dark chocolate, from Cocolove, mixed with some cream.

An aside: what's a girl gotta do to get her hands on an enrober, anyway? It would be so much easier to make things like this if I had my very own chocolate waterfall...

So, here you go. Dark Chocolate-coated Alfajores...very dark, very rich, and very good they come in such small bites!

16 Thoughts for food:

At 10:42 PM, Blogger Mika said...

Hi Stephanie- That sure looks delicious. I love almost anything with dulce de leche and your idea of dipping it in chocolate is like gilding the lily.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Mika!

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Cerebrum said...

I remember alfajores from travelling in South America - never tried them though, but this might be the time! Looks lovely Stephanie! And ps: that's usually how my SHF entries are done - just a couple of minutes before the clock strikes 12 - in America, which means something like 8 am here, lol!

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Nic said...

How cute! Great combination, Stephanie. I think I would have gone with chocolate *and* coconut, though!

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks Zarah!

Nice to see I'm not alone here...I haven't tried them, but Matt thinks I'd like them. I'm worried they'll just be too sweet/rich for me, though.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Nic!

Well, when you try, let me know how the coconut works out for you!

 
At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum...sounds so good! And I really like Nic's idea of using chocolate AND coconut!

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Alice! Let me know if you try them...there are recipes for the cookies all over the web.

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Robyn said...

I am not a huge fan of the dulce de leche combo either. I like them all separately but not combine. Wierd. Your choice to change it was superb! I will have to try this for a firend of mine. She'll love it.

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, chronicler! Caramel, yes. Dark chocolate...you know it, baby.

But coconut? Never liked it. See? Change can be good!

 
At 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehehehh... you and me both, coconut and dulce de leche just don't do it for me. chocolate is more like it:D -- and it's interesting, we filipinos actually have something called "alpajor" in our cuisine -- but it's made with rice and sugar.

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for introducing me to something new!

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

stef...that is interesting; such a similar word, but completey differnt food!

For me, it's just not liking coconut. Ok, I'll admit I liked it as a decorating tool for my seventh birthday, when my Mom and Aunt made a big cirus cake(s) for me; the coconut served as both decoration (colored, of course) for the tents, as well as the straw/saw dust on the ground.

But I can't eat it. Not dried, anyway. I'll eat fresh chunks of coconut with no problem. It's the dessicated stuff that makes me shudder...

Which is a pity; because German chocolate cakes always look so appetizing!

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

lisasd, you're so welcome!

Isn't that one of the wonderful things about food blogging? All the foods to try!

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

OMG, I never saw anythign like that in Mexico! Hey - I want my money back!!! Seriously, those look absolutely heavenly. And I do have a jar of dulce de leche lurking at the back of the cupboard...

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Jeanne, do give them a try! They're fairly easy to make, and since you already have one of the components...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker