Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

While Visions of Food Prep Danced in Their Heads

.

I have to confess: I haven't been all that excited by Christmas the past few years. I think it has a lot to do with being so far away from my family and the traditions I grew up with.

But now that Alex is getting a bit older, the house is much further along renovations-wise, and more of Matt's friends have moved closer to us, I find myself looking forward to the holiday...for a change.

We're getting our tree this weekend, as well as a separate freezer (hooray!) to store all the cookies I'll be making (especially handy if I get sick prior to Christmas again), as well as dragging down what decorations we've bought over the years.

I just now got a my order from Gardner's Candies...a company that's been around over a hundred years and located not far from where I grew up...their chocolate Santas and bears make great stocking stuffers!

I'll be starting my Christmas cards this week (by the way, I'd love to get your addresses; if anyone wants to do the card-thing, please send your physical address to thehappysorceress at gmail dot com).

And best of all? I can't wait to give Alex his Christmas presents!

First, he's finally old enough for all the cool toys, as he'll be three in March. View Masters, Slinky, you know; all the classic toys.

And second? This year, he's getting a new, and bigger, kitchen set!!



It's exactly what he needs: good size, lots of drawers and things to do, fairly realistic-looking.

And to go with, we've bought him a bunch of food sets. One, from the Dairy Queen, because my family has quite a history there, one a sort of basic food set, and the other?



His very own sushi set!

So, as always; I can wait till Christmas to see what I get, but I don't know if I can wait that long to give everyone else their gifts!


Tagged with
, , , ,

12 Thoughts for food:

At 7:15 PM, Blogger Laura said...

oh my gosh, I LOVE the sushi set, how awesome is that, where did you find it????

there's nothing I love more than having a house full of people and entertaining, this year.. we have the house, but not as many people, gargh!

We're putting our tree up (or starting at least) next weekend as well after the lighting of the Historic B&O Holly Tree, of course:)

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that sushi set!!! We thought about getting it for our little one (who also turns three in March), but decided against it because we have enough little fake kitchen pieces to puncture our soles as it is!!! I'm on the lookout for a very small kid-sized apron. I don't want fancy or embroidered, just simple. Michael's doesn't carry them and I haven't seen them at JoAnn's. Do you have any ideas? If anyone would, it'd be you!

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Cate said...

We got Nicholas that exact kitchen set for his birthday in August and he LOVES it, and uses it every night. Alex is going to have a blast with it!

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Laura!

Isn't it the coolest? We got it from a company called Constructive Playthings. It's pretty fabulous...there are steamed buns, tomago, even a wok!

Yeah, we now have the house, but not enough people, as well. I'm used to sardine-like conditions at my grandparent's house...as a family, we'd spill into three or four rooms (except for gift-opening, then we'd manage to cram twenty or thirty in their living room), but it was fun.
Hot, but fun.

Now? Just doesn't happen.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey Christy!

Do you have a boy or a girl?? When's the birthday??? Alex is the 14th.

Our big thing is Lego's...even though he has a table with storage, I find myself stepping on those darn blocks all the time!

I know Sur Le Table has a nice-looking apron, and it's both simple and inexpensive!

Hope that helps...

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sweetnicks...thanks so much for telling me! It's good to know it's a hit.

We picked this kitchen set based on the reviews; everyone seemed to love it. Even though it's a bit pricier than the other ones, we felt it was worth the cost.

Now, too bad we can't get our budding chefs together for a play date, huh?

 
At 7:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Stephanie - I've bookmarked the Sur La Table apron. For now, it's still to big - she's a 25 pound peanut. Her birthday is March 18th, so I got to have my "fun" four days after you finished yours!!!

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Wow, Christy; she's a tiny thing, isn't she? Alex weighs about 38 pounds now!

Perhaps you could slap together something from a pattern? You can find some really adorable fabrics these days...have you ever tried Reprodepot? We got our kitchen curtain material from them.

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My goodness...I'm jealous of you both! What I wouldn't do for an extra freezer! And the whole toy kitchen set-up looks and sounds amazing!!

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Tell me about it, Alice!

Our current freezer situation is so dire, I'm often afraid to open it for fear a package of nuts or edamame will fall on my toes.

And there's no way I could fit holiday cookies in there.

But now? Oh, I'm so happy! I'll be starting on the more stable cookies this weekend, as well as making a huge pot of vegetable stock...because I now have the room!

Isn't the kitchen great? I can't wait till Alex sees it for the first time. Only 25 days to go!!!!!

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Nupur said...

Stephanie, you are such a cool mom for not discriminating against ur little boy and getting him an ultra-cool kitchen!

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Aw, Nupur...thanks!

All the guys in Matt's family cook, my Grampa and step-dad did, too...and nothing makes Alex happier than to help us in the kitchen. Why would I deprive him of that, just because cooking is thought to be a 'girlie' activity?

He has fun, and so do we. That's all I need!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker