Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

I Always Said I Was a Cheap Date

.

or, Scenes from a Drive-In Movie

Friday night, Matt and I had a 'date' at a drive-in movie theater. For an old-fashioned gal like me, how much more retro can you get?


The sign, obviously, for the drive-in. It's one of three, all owned by the same people, located within driving distance of our home.


We're first in line! Ok, it's also five-thirty, and we have a bit of a wait to get in, but that also means we get our pick of 'seats'.


See what I mean about the wait? But you can't beat the prices; ten bucks for the two of us to watch three films. I really am a cheap date.


Time to get our tickets!


My date for the evening.


Very cool, very retro, snack area, called The BlueMoon Cafe. They sell all sorts of foods; burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, candy bars, ice cream, even shaved ice. Plus, there's a seriously old jukebox, as well as various gaming machines...pinball and the like. It's so neat!


After we returned to the car with our food, we saw a guy pull u with a recliner in his truck bed. Guess he really wanted to be comfortable for the films.


My 'dinner', a grilled-cheese sandwich. Yum.


And very retro: white bread, fake butter, and processed cheese-food product.


Gotta have fries. Nice and crispy.


Matt got a BBQ-ed sandwich. For the price, it was (he said) surprisingly good.


If you look closely, just at the bottom of the screen, a group of people had set up a card table and were happily passing the the pre-film time by playing a friendly game of cards.


Good crowd.

We weren't really interested in Ice Age 2: The Meltdown, not having seen the first one. So, we brought the lap top and during the first film, watched the final two episodes of the first season of Veronica Mars. Got through X-3 (Brett Ratner, you have some 'splainin' to do!), and left before Larry the stupid movie that never should have been made started. But just the same, with movies and food, we spent less than twenty dollars for the entire night out...it doesn't happen often, but I'm always happy when it does!



Tagged with: + + + + + +

7 Thoughts for food:

At 2:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very funny lol

 
At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, you're not cheap, just really easy to satisfy. Matt's a lucky man! :)

Sounds like you guys had great fun. Gotta agree with you about X-Men 3. Having faithfully followed 1 and 2, I was really disappointed with 3. They shoulda stuck with Bryan Singer!

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

You know, Julia, that really is it: I'm not too hard to make happy.

It was less about sticking with Singer as Singer jumping at the chance to direct the new Superman.

I really wish he hadn't, because X-MEN really suffered at Ratner's hand. No character development, no...personality.

It was just flash! bang! boom!, and we were done.

SPOILER



And who kills off the Professor?!!!?

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

no way we get that in Malaysia....too humid I guess

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

foodcrazee...that's what air conditioning is for!

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger CameraDawktor said...

That looks like so much fun! They tore down our drive-in theatre and put in Home Depot.

I miss the drive-in! What a fun date!

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Cameradawktor: it really was!

We're hoping to get back a few more times this summer, and we're going to take Alex with us to see Cars next month! I think he'll have a blast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker