Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, May 26, 2006

SHF: Ginger

.

I haven't found time to join in the last few Sugar High Fridays; but when I saw that Ruth of Once Upon a Feast had chosen ginger for this month's theme, I absolutely had to schedule it in.

See, Matt is a ginger freak. Seriously. The man loves his ginger.

So, just for him, I've created two entries for SHF: Apple-Ginger Pie, and Ginger-Lavender Ice Cream



The pie recipe came from Retro Pies, from Collector's Press. I omitted the cinnamon, and instead threw in about 1/4 c. finely chopped crystallized ginger. In the final step, basting the pie crust with cream and sugar just before it's finished baking, I used the sugar in the bottom of the crystallized ginger jar.

There's even a crystallized ginger 'apple' on top!

The crust is more like a cookie than conventional pastry. The ginger in the pie is a bit subtle, but replacing it for the cinnamon gives it a lighter, brighter, flavor.




Ginger-Lavender Ice Cream; so simple to prepare. My add-on was to toss in some dried, edible, lavender while the grated ginger, milk, cream and sugar were boiling and steeping.
I also added some lavender while the ice cream was churning, which may not have been the best idea...a little too much texture contrast.

Still, the ice cream is wonderful. Rich, creamy, and very gingery. The lavender is there, mostly as an aftertaste; but it doesn't get completely overwhelmed.

So, Matt has a nice supply of gingered treats, and I got to join in the fun!




Tagged with: + + + + + +

10 Thoughts for food:

At 2:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The man loves his ginger;-), so did mine.

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Ruth Daniels said...

Two great choices! Thanks for sharing. I really have to go out and buy an ice cream maker now!

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh, yes he does!

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Ruth, you really should. They're so low-effort these days, it's a shame not to have one! And as the disgustingly hot/humid weather seems to have returned to Eastern Tennessee, I'm really glad I have mine!

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Vineela said...

Hi STEPHANIE,
Iam going to try this recipe.Thank you for ginger pie and ginger lavander ice cream .Have a look on my entry - "ginger-peanut bar".

Vineela

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Oh my word.... Jeff and I would love to share in with this overload of ginger! We both love it!

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Vineela, thanks! And your ginger-peanut bar looks really good!

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Well, Joe; if you guys ever make it down to Tennessee, we'd gladly make it for you!

 
At 2:53 AM, Blogger G said...

I will be right over!

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Good...I need some help with that ice cream!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker