Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Blog Party#24: Blogger's Choice

.




I never imagined my love affair with hors d'oeurves and mixed drinks could translate into an International food blogging event. It never occurred to me that so many others loved creating those bite-sized morsels, and playing with potent (and not-so potent) liquids.
I never guessed that there would be so many different ways to dress up an appetizer.
Not once did I dream this crazy little event, somewhat off the beaten food blogging track, would still be chugging along two years later.
And I certainly couldn't know I'd find myself that much richer, having made many dear friends in the process of playing cyber-hostess.

This month, we're celebrating the 24th Blog Party! Can you believe it? I'm not sure I can, to be honest. So many canapes eaten. And I don't want to know how much booze has been consumed!! That's between you and your liver.

Each month, I look forward to announcing the latest theme, and tracking down new and different products to showcase. I love finding bizarre musical selections that somehow tie it all together.

Must of all, I love reading about the aperitifs and finger foods you guys have created. Such imagination! I'm always blown away by your offerings, and not-so-secretly wish our Saturday get-together's were live, rather than virtual.

Because for me, Blog Party is all about you. Providing you with a challenge. Retro food? No-cook? From the pages of your favorite books? Insane. But fun. And you always rise to that challenge.

And I love providing the meeting place for those who love the cocktail party. I swear, it's a dying form! But here, you can bring your pate and crudites, mix those martinis and Shirley Temples in the company of friends.

So this month, for our two-year anniversary, the theme is really about YOU.

That means, make whatever you want! If you like pepperoni slices atop a Ritz cracker, garnished with a cube of 'orange' cheese, go for it. Like the stinky cheeses? Grab some clothespins, and have at it. Go fancy. Go simple. Homestyle, high-end. If you like it, it's good enough for us.

See, it's your choice. So long as there's an appetizer, and a cocktail-like beverage, the market is the limit!

Blog Party started in August of 2005 as an excuse for me to make some of the small bites I'd had bookmarked for ages. We don't really have a lot of parties in our house, and when we do, appetizers rarely make it on the menu. Occasionally, we'd have some friends over, and make the entire meal from appetizers! (Try it, it's great.) But it really wasn't enough. I wanted a reason to play with puff pastry, to carve cucumbers, to dress up dip.

And while there were a plethora of foodie events on the Web, nothing really addressed my obsession with the practice of serving a bite and a sip.

Easily solved.

I created my own event.

Blog Party was born of a need not only to bake bruschetta, but a desire to socialize. I wanted to interact...even if only through e-mail...with people who were as nutty as I was. Am.

And it worked. Each month since our first party, I've found messages in my inbox from new friends, and discovered so many new and wonderful ways to down-size food! It's been a terrific experience, and I've loved every moment of it.

Of course, two years is a very long time to host a party. And I've found myself wondering if perhaps the need for such a thing still exists.

Which is why you, my dear, dear, friends, are faced with yet another choice.

Should Blog Party continue? Is it still relevant? Necessary?

I need to hear from you, my fellow party-goers: do we take this shindig into the next year?

And if so, what sort of themes would you like to see here? Tell me what your interests are.

I want you to know that I still love Blog Party. I do. But I don't want to over-stay my welcome. I will happily continue throwing wacky themes at you as long as you want me to. But the decision, ultimately, is yours.

So...let me hear from you!

Comments or e-mail; either will do. Share your thoughts, please.

Now, for the details for July's party.

As always, the only real requirements are that you make a minimum of ONE appetizer AND cocktail. That's one each. A drink and a bite. And since July's theme leaves it wide-open, make whatever the heck you want!

Entries for Blogger's Choice will be due Thursday, 19 July. Leave your links either in the comments section of any post, or e-mail me at thehappysorceress at gmail dot com.

The party itself will be posted Saturday, 21 July, with me once again providing music and decorations.

For anyone new to this event (and if so...sorry about all that up there), you can read up on the last two year's parties here.

I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with, and of course, finding out if this is our final party...or not!





Tagged with: + + + + + + + + +

10 Thoughts for food:

At 2:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

viva la blog party! :)))) *casts 10 yay votes*

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger J said...

I'm thinking that as my friends ask me "what is this month's theme?" I clearly am addicted to this event. What other excuse do I have to hit eBay for interesting cocktail sticks and forks and vintage crockery? I hasten to add that if Stephanie wasn't stretching me with new themes each month I'd probably have to make up my own.
My two favourite were "comfort food" and "black & white". I'd like to try some more colours but pretty much all my crockery is either black, white or both (except one tiny pink exception) I may be giving myself a problem with that suggestion.
If you're not too tired with organising Stephanie, I'd love it to continue also.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Would you believe me if I said I will remember to take part this month?! :o)

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Sara said...

I've been bad at taking party in blog party the past few months, but I do enjoy it. Hope you'll keep it up. You can always have guest hosts!

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

That's 10 for the 'keep' side...

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, J...and I do love seeing your crockery!

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Well, let's just say that I'll try very hard to believe!

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Sara...

 
At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie,
I am a new participant and I was so looking forward to sending in my "Trouble with Tribbles, nibbles and dribbles" entry last month. Unfortunately we went on vacation last month and I ran out of time. I may send it in as my bloggers choice this month anyway.

Please, please don't stop! I feel inspired and enthused by the blog party. I want to join in the fun.
I've really enjoyed looking over your blog (I totally laughed at the 100 things about me...only because many of them apply to me too!)
and I have added you to my "Blogs I Love" section on my blog.
So my meager vote is -don't stop the partay! I'm here!!
Beam me up!
Gabi

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Gabi, oh please...do send it! I would love to see that.

And thank you so much; I really appreciate that. The votes have been quite positive, so I do think BP will be sticking around for a while.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker