Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

An almost heat-less dinner

.

The heat hasn't dissipated, so the stove stays off...as much as possible.

Thursday night, it was a somewhat classier soup and sandwich.



A nice crusty bread, drizzled with olive oil, sandwiching slices of Cantal...a French, raw milk, cheese. Toasted in a skillet.
Oh, nice...neither a strong or mild flavor, a good cheese, and melted well.



This was a Summer Tomato Soup, recipe from Food & Wine (if you want it, let me know).
I'm not a big fan of gazpacho; I think it's partly the acidity, and partly because it's cold.

This recipe claimed to be less acidic, so I decided to give it a try.

Tomatoes, Kirby cucumbers, red onion, tomato juice and lemon juice, and herbs (called for basil and cilantro, I substituted parsley for cilantro); puree. Season and chill.
Mix herbs with goat cheese, place a dollop of cheese in soup bowls, and garnish.
The recipe called for sugar snap peas, radishes and at least one other thing; I just used avocado.

While it was much better than any gazpacho I've tried before, I'm still not sold on the whole cold soup thing.

But, it came together quickly, required no more than fifteen minutes in front of the stove, and was pretty good.

4 Thoughts for food:

At 6:21 AM, Blogger Niki said...

I just read in another food blog (but I can't remember which one!) about an old-fashioned practice of adding a teaspoon of baking soda to acidic tinned tomatoes (fresh or tinned) to sweeten the flavour. She decided to test it out, expecting it not to work, but it worked wonderfully. It just neturalises the extra acidicity, and brings out the sweetness. Definitely something I'll try to remember!

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Niki...that's a good tip! I rarely have issues with tomatoes, but gazpacho does me in.
No matter the taste, I just don't think I'll ever 'warm up' to cold soup!

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Laura said...

the only cold soup i can deal with is cucumber-yogurt soup.... i eat my gazpacho hot, and prefer it in big chunks. in fact, i always just called it my mexican soup until I stumbled on a recipe for gazpacho...ohhhhh, a few months ago.... i don't even know what it actually is -- tasty, at least.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Yeah, cold soup just leaves me...well, cold, I guess.

I suppose cuke/yog might work, but if I'm going to eat something cold out of a bowl, I think I'll stick to cereal or ice cream!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker