Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, January 06, 2006

Retro Dessert: Layers of Caramel-y Goodness

.



My first effort from the fabulous Retro Baking;



Caramel Cake

Retro Baking is published by Collector's Press, and is just one book in their wonderful 'retro' line (do check them out). Thanks to my recent acquisition of Retro Baking and Retro Pies, I know have almost all of them ( Retro Kids is next!).

I mean, how can you go wrong with a recipe that calls for 2 cups of caramel sauce to be added to the cake batter??

Although you can't tell from this picture...what with it being a rather light-colored food, and we all know my problems photographing such things...the cake is a gorgeous caramel color. A bit like a pound cake, but with more of a 'browned' flavor. The frosting...which also incorporates some of the caramel sauce...is very sweet and definitely caramelized (there's 3 cups of powdered sugar in thar!).

I made the mistake of baking this on a TV-Block night. I had CSI and Without a Trace to watch! So, while I got the baking done in time, I had to wait to make the frosting, and assemble.

And by then, I was getting tired. I didn't take the time to level off the cake, which is why is sags a bit.

Oh, well...it's a cake for Matt and Alex. I'm not shooting for perfection here.


Blog Party #6 has been announced, and this month? We're going Retro! Click here for all the information, and hope to see you at the party!




Tagged with
, , , , , ,

6 Thoughts for food:

At 1:39 PM, Blogger Cerebrum said...

Oh me oh my, that sure looks and sounds delish Stephanie! And awfully sweet, just the way I like it!

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Ohmagosh...is it you? Is it really you, Zarah Maria???

It's been sooooo long! How wonderful to hear from you.

It really was an easy recipe. Sure, you had to make the caramel sauce, but it was just brown sugar, water and butter boiling for a while, then adding evaporated milk and vanilla. So, not too bad.

And yes...sweet. And Matt and Alex can have all they want!

Again, so good to hear from you!

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Cate said...

Thursday night IS a great TV night. Got addicted to Criminal Minds, NUMB3RS and Closer to Home too... cake looks great too!

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Stephanie - Awesome Cake! It looks really high too!

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sweetnicks; and don't forget, ABC had punished Alias to eight on Thursday, too...until recently, when it brought it back to Wednesdays at ten.

The cake seems to be a hit with my guys, which is all I really care about!

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi, Joe!

And thanks!

It's not really that high, though...it's just tow eight inch cakes, sliced in half. You should take a look at the cake I made for my MIL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker