Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Buttermilk Spice Cake with Amaretto-Macerated Oranges

.



A few months ago, my mother-in-law gifted me with a pretty neat cake pan, called a Mary Ann Cake Pan.



I kept thinking of ways to use it, but never got 'round to it. Finally, I decided I just had to come up with something...and since I was giving it to the in-laws, I had more options.

Last weekend, after buying up some decently-priced oranges, I finally had it: a buttermilk and spice cake, topped with whipped cream and oranges soaked in syrups or liquor.

Using the cake half of this recipe, the base is uncharacteristically light. As Matt pointed out, most spice cakes are very dense, but this one? Not even a little. Wonderfully spicy, with a strong nutmeg scent (again, I didn't eat it, so I don't have a first-hand report...perhaps Matt'll chime in later).

Topped with freshly whipped cream, flavored with both vanilla and vanilla sugar (Matt said it was the best whipped cream I'd made yet), then orange sections which had soaked in a ginger syrup and Amaretto.

It's a great pan, and now that I've survived the inaugural cake, I'm coming up with all kinds of flavor combinations (those frozen strawberries, raspberries and blueberries are calling me...).

Best of all, I got my baking 'fix', without the calories!

(I stayed home, nursing a sore back with iced tea and a Bob Baer's See No Evil, so Matt assembled the cake at his parent's house, as it had only recently come out of the oven when he was ready to go)





Tagged with: , , , , ,

6 Thoughts for food:

At 3:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great looking cake! and that cake pan the edge it made was so sweet!

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Clare!

It's such a perfect shelf, isn't it? Just think of all the things you could fill it with...

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling alright now, Stephanie.

Cake pan and the cake you baked, Matt assembled - looks so pretty.
What a lovely gift!
That cake pan would be perfect to bake a tart also, and spring is around the corner, to bake all kinds of fruit tarts.:)

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks really great.I wish my MIL would give me something useful like that.:-)
Emily
http://madmommychronicles.typepad.com/biscuits_and_blues

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Indira!

I started working out at home, with a trainer, and a previous back injury seems to have been aggravated. Tomorrow's session will be conducted while sitting on the exercise ball!

Isn't that a neat pan?

I know...any kind of cake or crust, and all the fruits you could stand.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Emily!

Well, I'm forever sending baked goods to their house, I guess this was a nice way to repay me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker