Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, October 31, 2008

Blog Party#39: Gross Anatomy---The Aftermath

.



Well, what can I say? I was so creeped out by all that Gross Anatomy, I guess I needed some time to recover!!

But I'm better now, thanks, so I feel I can safely tell you about the fantastic...if somewhat macabre...time we had.

Music. Of course, there was good music: what's party without it? This time, appropriately, we cycled through cuts from Heart, Badfinger, & Talking Heads.


Adding to the atmosphere, muted on the television, The Crawling Hand. That movie's haunted me since childhood...


There's always plenty to eat at Blog Party, and well...the drinks are free! Before the night's over, some guests may need a 'helping hand'. So these cool skeleton glasses came in, um, handy.





So icky...the Donner Party centerpiece...




No swan ice sculptures for us; no, instead we had these realistic hearts!





But I know what you're really here for: the food. Let's get to it, then, shall we?






First one to arrive was Heather, and boy, did she come prepared for her first Blog Party!
There were fingers & eyes & ghosts, oh my!
Now that's what I call making an entrance; thanks again for coming, Heather.





Deb showed up next, in desperate need of some bandages. Oh, wait...that's right. It wasn't bandagesat all, but lots of napkins, to go with her Bloody Fingers.
And having been to a few parties here, perhaps she was subtly poking fun of just how much alcohol gets consumed at BP with Pink Eyes!
Good to see you again, Deb.



Natashya came next, scaring the pups in my kitchen with her giant eyeball cupcakes. I confess: I thought they were cute.
Not exactly promoting devil-worshiping, she did serve up this kind-of cool Devi's Pale Ale.
Always happy you can make it, Natashya!





Cakelaw knocked on the door next, and after seeing these slightly-creepy-yet-adorable eyeball mini cakes, we were all happy to let her in!
Can't have cake without something to wash it down, and no one was disappointed in those Vampire's Blood Cocktails (The management would like to assure our guests that no vampires were harmed in the production of these drinks. Thank you.)
Glad you could come, Cakelaw!









My nearest Blog Party neighbor, Melody, was our next guest, and when I saw those White Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffle Eyeballs, I rather quickly pushed her towards the group while I ran back to the kitchen to squirrel away a few of these for later...
What?!
I was able to distract the other guests with the Candy Corn Fudge, thankfully, while adding the eyeballs to the table.
And there were more than a few of those Blood Red Pomegranate Martinis consumed that night. Pom is in!
Happy you made the drive down, Melody.







Haalo was next; she thoughtfully left the testicle treats behind and instead served up these tasty ladies fingers (The management would like to assure our guests that no ladies were harmed during the production of these appetizers. Thank you.)
Although some guests were squeamish at first, pretty much everyone joined in the xenocide to make those Melting Martians.
We did, however, sign a confidentiality agreement with Area 51. I can say no more.
Fantastic as always, Haloo.







Somehow, J managed to slip in without being noticed; normally she makes such a grand entrance you can't miss her!
But, she was just stoping in for a bit before continuing her travels, so we were happy to chat over some oddly cute squirting skulls. Knowing she had to take off soon, she kept the drinks light with some lovely raspberry & boysenberry juice.
Thanks for fitting us in, J!


My turn! My turn!

You guys know how much I love to play with food, so no one was surprised when I announced we'd be eating spines, eyeballs and ribs that night. They just wondered what they were getting into...





First, Spines; a spinal column of goat cheese, cream cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, whipped to a spread in the food processor, smeared over giant tortillas, topped with baby spinach, rolled and sliced. Vertebrae! For all.




Next, capresse eyeballs. Wonderful little bites; cherry tomato slices, torn bits of basil, bociccini sliced in halves, and diced roasted red pepper for the 'iris'.




My kind of 'ribs'; breadstick dough shaped to look like a ribcage.




Tear off a bone and dip into the bloody heart (marinara sauce; come on guys...you know I'm a vegetarian!).






And finally, a nice tall glass of Burried Pomegranate; one of the seasonal offerings from Jones Soda. It's quite good, actually, unlike say...the Thanksgiving flavors they do...

Well, that about does it. We had fun, we ate a lot of strangely-shaped food, we talked and danced and laughed.

I apologize for taking so long to share the good times with you, but today actually seemed like the right day for this!

Next month, we turn things around. November is all about decadence when we celebrate Blog Party#40: The Holiday Edition 2.0. More details to come...hope to see you there!




Tagged with: + + + + + + + + + +

12 Thoughts for food:

At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That heart is amazing!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger thepassionatecook said...

i love your recipes, stephanie, especially the vertebral column... what a clever idea! i am sooo copying that for next year!
sorry i couldn't take part, was way too busy and way to uncreative... next time, I promise!

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Haalo said...

oh my, I have that same skeleton hand glass! Another great roundup!

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger NKP said...

You guys are so creative.
It all looks so wonderful, I don't know who to eat first.

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Deb in Hawaii said...

Another fun pary with lots of goulish delights to enjoy. Love that ribcage and I want another cupcake Natashya--they were so cute (but cute-scary of course!)

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Maryann!! Hope to see you at the party this month...

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Johanna!

Isn't that cute? Best part, Alex wanted to take the left-overs in for his school lunch the next day. I mean, he wanted the goat cheese/spinach/sun-dried tomato wraps for school. Love it.

Definitely! We're going super-fancy this time.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Haalo...no kidding?? That's hilarious!

Thanks, as always, for coming.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Natashya...hee! Did you mean to type 'who', or was that a Halloweenian slip???!

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Deb...thanks! It took some doing. I used the halves of a Wilton 3-D Easter egg cake pan, to get that 'chest cavity' look. Trial and error. But it was fun eating the mistakes!

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Cakelaw said...

Great roundup Steph - some suitably spooky dishes there.

I love the ghoulish goblets with skeletal hands embracing them - gotta have some of those!

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, cakelaw!

Aren't they the best? I mean, I thought my jewel-encrusted spider-in-web ones from last year were cool, but there's something about these skeleton hands that's even better.

And the purple ones are even neater!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker