Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, September 03, 2024

Making Clotted Cream - are you Cornwall or Devon?

.


 

From the very first time I had tea at the now-closed tea shop in town, with its multi-level trays of sandwiches, scones, and sweet baked goods, I was a clotted cream devotee. 

I'll often do 'tea for dinner' at home, ranging from a few items to more food than three people should eat (but do), and always, always try to get clotted cream for the scones.

That's not always an option, however.

Maybe, if the stars align, Whole Foods will have it in stock. 

Or, if we're willing to drive a bit, CostPlus.

Otherwise, I need to really plan ahead and order online, and even that isn't a guarantee.

I'd read these articles or posts about making your own...but there's a little problem. Clotted cream requires exactly one ingredient: unpasteurized cream.

This is the US. We don't DO unpasteurized dairy products.

So I resigned myself to clotted cream roulette. Sometimes I won. Most times, I did not.

 

But last week, I watched the latest episode of Tasting History (by the by, I adore Max and his channel), where he made clotted cream...because he found a low-pasteurized cream!

And I discovered that both Whole Foods and Earth Fare carry that Exact Brand.

So over the weekend...my oven was the star.

And what came out (after a very long rest in the fridge) was decadent and perfection.


Served with heart-shaped scones and strawberry jam (alongside slices of cheese tart and little cakes), it was...everything.

And the best/bonus news: it freezes! 

We had more than enough for tea, and a hearty supply for future needs.

Thank you, Max!





For the record, I am Devon all the way.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Thoughts for food:

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker