Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Testing the Waters

.



Despite the picture, Alex was quite happy with his Cheese Pakora.

My Mom, step-dad, and one of my little sisters (the baby) are coming down mid-May, on their way to depositing my Mom at The Biltmore to begin her three-month externship. We've decided to take them out to dinner that evening, and we've settled on what has become our favorite Indian restaurant, Sitar.

We want to make the experience as pleasant as possible for every one involved, so my Mommy-senses kicked in: we should get a nice order of take-out, and give Alex a chance to get used to those 'new' foods.

So, we placed a big order.



Vegetable Pakoras (potato, cauliflower, and broccoli)



Dal Makhani, Matar Panir, and Malai Kofta



Add a nice Puri, and it's a meal.

Well, for a first try, I did get Alex to eat the cheese pakoras, as well as a puri. And he loved the tamarind chutney, dipping both cheese and bread in it repeatedly.

And as there are plenty of left-overs, I'll keep offering the other dishes. Hopefully, by the time my family gets here, he'll be a bit more receptive!





Tagged with: + + + +

10 Thoughts for food:

At 4:01 AM, Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

Super Mum and super kid....nice combi.........


nice to see him liking the tamarind chutney....lovely dish

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Fiber said...

I'll take any leftovers!

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Erika W. said...

What a great idea! We have a new Indian restaurant that opened up near here, and I have been hesitant to go because I don't think the kids will go for it.

I'll have to get a take-out menu. :-)

 
At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephanie!
you are really great.Next time ,you will find me sitting right your table.Spare some time and give your thoughts on my "turtle donuts" posted on 28th march in my blog.

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats great.My kids wrinkle their noses up at so many new things.I just tell them "one bite".

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey, thanks, foodcrazee!

That's the thing about Alex, though; he loves condiments.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Fiber, we still have some!

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Erika; I try to take Alex to restaurants every once in a while. I make sure there's something on the menu he'll eat (edamame at a sushi place, bread everywhere else!), and talk up the foods in the days before we actually go. I also make sure to bring along something else he likes, whether it's granola bars or dried fruit, just in case. And a small (new) toy or book helps, too!

Just be realistic: they've not studied Emily Post, after all!

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Ramya!

And you would definitely be welcome.

I will certainly check out those donuts, promise!

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Emily, you're not alone!

But we've been really lucky with Alex. He eats so many 'unusual' foods. Well, for kids, at least. I mean, he likes to eat Nori snacks! My toddler eat seaweed! There's no way you would have talked me into trying it when I was his age.

And I use the 'just a bite' thing with him, as well.

Would you believe, with all the amazing foods Alex will eat, that the kid refuses to eat sandwiches???

I mean, he'll a peanut butter sandwich, but that's it. In any other case, he'll eat the ingredients individually, that's it. Strange kid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker