Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Blog Party#9: Dessert? Well, Just a Bite

.

I give you my word, no practical jokes in this post!

A new month, a new Blog Party.

Despite the arrival of Spring here in the US, and the desire to look fabulous in tank tops, short skirts and open-toed shoes (this is a predominantly female group), this month's party is all about miniaturizing our favorite desserts. Tiny cookies. Bite-sized brownies. No bigger than your palm tarts. If you love to order it off the dessert menu, it belongs at our party.

Take all your favorite sweets, and cut them down to size!

If you're here, you love itty-bitty foods. Why shouldn't we bring dessert along? And I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that if you eat smaller bites, it counts as less calories!


In case you're new to Blog Party, here comes the fine print:



Blog Party is a virtual cocktail party for food bloggers. It's a chance to make those little bites and fantastic drinks we all love, but never make. Blog Party is about taking time for us: setting aside some time to cook (which, clearly, we all love), to prepare appetizers we want to eat but never get around to. And best of all, it's about getting together, albeit via the Web, with like-minded friends.

On the first day of each month, I announce a theme for Blog Party. Past themes have included Tiki, Big Game Night, and Holiday.

Food bloggers who want to join in have the next few weeks to think up or find recipes to go with the theme. One of the 'rules' for Blog Party is that each guest is to 'bring' both an hors d'oeurves and a drink, in accordance with the theme.

Make the foods and cocktails/mocktails you'd love to have at your own party. Better yet? Host a real cocktail party!

Either way, make your dishes and post your entry (with pictures, preferably) to your blog. Post at any time. Send me your links by the third Thursday of the month (email address is provided below). That Saturday, I post a round-up...though we like to think of it as introducing our guests, and the amazing food they've brought along.

In addition, I also include some party tips: decorating ideas and sources, as well as themed-music selections.

By the end of the night, we've all made some friends and discovered new recipes. And frankly, had a good time without all the calories. And Best of all, you can add the new dishes to your own cocktail party repertoire!

Now, for the 'rules'.

What, in my opinion, qualifies as cocktail food:

  • Finger foods: anything that can be picked up, carried around and eaten with one hand...the use of the second hand as crumb catcher is perfectly acceptable

  • Dippers: vegetables, crackers, bread, chips, breadsticks and any inventive foods which are used for scooping or spreading dips and uh...spreads

  • Miniature meals: by this, I mean a normal-sized dish, cut or displayed as individual servings. A quiche, cut into small enough pieces to be eaten in less than four bites would be accepted.


For the month of April, make all your favorite desserts...no matter how decadent...into bite-sized treats. And don't forget about those drinks! Who cares if we all bring chocolate martini's, anyway?

Post your dishes no later than 20 April...early is always good...and get your links to me either by posting in the comments, or by emailing me at thehappysorceress at gmail dot com. I'll post the party round-up Saturday, 22 April, and I hope to see you there!




Tagged with: , , , , , , ,

13 Thoughts for food:

At 1:23 AM, Blogger CameraDawktor said...

OOOHHH! My dearly departed Grammies was the hostess goddess. She had an awesome miniature dessert recipe she would always make for her functions, but alas, never made it for me. That's what I will make and I'll let you know when I do!!

 
At 3:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you would like my event called the Curry Mela

 
At 3:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is an event that I host every weekend

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh!Can't wait!

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger little pomelo said...

I'm eager to participate in this event as I think bite-size desserts are the best way of eating them :)
But, I never made cocktail or even cocktail before... Plus the only alcohol I have in my house are Grand Marnier and Jamaican Rum. What do I do?

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger lost in thoughts said...

This theme sounds great ! There's going to be a whole lot of yummy entries for sure.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sounds like this is right up your alley, Cameradawtor! Just send that entry when it's ready...

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Tony...I do check out your event each week; it's very nice!

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Emily...can't wait to see what you make!

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

strawberry...we'd be happy to have you join us!

As for cocktails...maybe mix up a simply syrup, and play with some sweet flavors. That could work. Remember; it doesn't have to include alcohol.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Spicehut...I hope you're right!

 
At 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope that I am right in time. I filled my leftover pudding for tomorrow's SHF into fresh baked moulds and here it is: Advoocat pudding filled Juwels served with Espresso

 
At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie!

I just couldn't resist taking time out and participating for this. Desserts are just awesome!!

Here is my entry - Mint Chocolate Tarlets

http://www.hookedonheat.com/2006/04/21/when-you-need-to-stop-and-live-a-little/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker